As with Reckoning, the sleeve notes say this was recorded at the Warfield Theatre, San Francisco, September 25-October 14 1980 and at Radio City Music Hall, New York, October 22-31 1980.
The dates for individual tracks (where available) are taken from DeadBase, with gaps filled in by email correspondents - thanks to Todd Corey in particular.
Remastered and reissued in 2004 with an additional CD taken from the same shows as part of the box set Beyond Description (1973-1990). The tracks on the new CD are:
(1) Adrian sent me the following account of how he identified this:
"I was listening to a passable AUD of 27th Oct 1980 when I suddenly realised that I was listening to the Friend Of The Devil which was used on Dead Set.
(2) "Space" was on the LP but was omitted from the original CD (though it is now on the re-issued version)
"The AUD version is just over 10 mins long, as opposed to the 7.27 on the album. Curious, I stuck them both on my hard disk and Went Forensic...
"It was fun to do - and I am an unabashed member of that seemingly tiny minority that has a soft spot for Dead Set - and this version of Friend Of The Devil in particular."
- the intro is halved to approx 20 seconds
- the fourth verse/chorus (between bridge and the various solos) is cut (3:39 - 4:28)
- 50 seconds of Brent Mydland's solo is (4:44 - 5:33) is cut
- there's nothing edited from Bob Weir's 'solo section' (surprisingly enough)
- the first 49 seconds or so (7:00 - 7:49) of Jerry Garcia's solo is cut
(3) thanks to Todd Corey for identifying this date
Find Song lyrics|